Hoya parasitica 'Black Margin'

Hoya parasitica 'Black Margin'

Regular price
Sale price
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

Hoya parasitica is a synonym of Hoya verticillata var. verticillata which is the accepted name.

Hoya parasitica is part of the Apocynaceae family and it’s native range is Tropical & Subtropical Asia to Samoa. Leaves are opposite, ovate and succulent with three main nerves (triplinerved); this variety has dark green-black leaf margins. Hoya parasitica are considered to be fast growers and would benefit greatly from a trellis. Umbels bear up to 70 flowers, blooms are reflexed, about 1-1.5 cm and colours vary from green, white, pink to almost red. 

Genus name is new Latin, named after Thomas Hoy ( c. 1750– c. 1821), English gardener. Specific epithet comes from the Latin verticillatus, meaning verticillate, in reference to leaves arranged in fours, although this is very rare.

Pot: ø 12cm.

Foliage: Approximately 20cm.

Light: Bright indirect light, meaning the plant sees the sun for 0-4 hours per day - this could be through trees or a translucent curtain, it’s important for the plant to see the sky in order to thrive. More hours of light are thought to encourage flowering.

Water: Given adequate light, allow the mix to dry out a little. If your Hoya is potted in a chunky, fast draining mix, you may need to water more frequently.

Potting mix: A chunky well-draining mix composed of coco coir, perlite or vermiculite, orchid bark, worm castings and some horticultural charcoal. I also recommend potting Hoya in coco chips. 

Fertilising: Feed your plant every few waterings during the growing season or when you observe active growth. You can dilute fertiliser to half the recommended amount but never add more.

Temperature: 15-35˚C.

Humidity: Hoya would prefer higher humidity, between 60-80% but do well to adapt to average home humidity. You can increase humidity by placing the plant on a watered pebble tray or using a humidifier.

Hoya aren’t considered toxic, however, they may make your pet or child vomit if ingested, keep out of reach just to be safe.